Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Haiti



As I was driving to work today I passed this backhoe parked on the side of the road. Most days I would not think anything of an unused piece of construction machinery, but today this idle hunk of metal brought me to tears. I knew if I was able to transport it to Haiti it could literally be saving the lives of people instead of sitting on the side of the road here in the USA.

As many of you know I have been traveling to Haiti for the last 15 years to help the people there, so the news of the earthquake yesterday hit me particularly hard. I cannot imagine how crazy it is there right now and how many people are suffering. Like me I am sure that many of you are asking "What can I do to help?" or "Can I really make a difference with such a big problem?". The answer to the later question is yes you can make a difference and the answer to the former question is to help us send a container of food to this impoverished hurting nation.

One thing I have learned from my years of experience in Haiti is that the problems of that nation are too big for any one person or organization to solve. At times it seems futile. But God has placed real people there in my life that I can help and that can make all the difference in the world for them. I believe that God has given us, as a church, a very real and tangible way to be His hands and feet in their time of need.

Our plan of action will be to partner with the Pittsburgh Kids Foundation (PKF), who I have worked with for years in Haiti, and send down some food. The PKF will be collecting funds for this endeavor and when we have the money raised we will be working with a man named Stan Curtis to get the food there A.S.A.P.. Stan is a stateside missionary with Missionary Flights International, who helps me coordinate trips to Haiti. When trying to figure out how to help, my first call was to him. I asked him what the best and most tangible way to help would be and he immediately suggested that we help him send down a cargo ship container full of food. He has already lined up the 20,000 pounds of food and we are going to cover the cost of shipping the container - which is approximately $16,000.

If you would like to help you can make a donation by going to the The Pittsburgh Kids Foundation website and click the support tab to give. Please mark Haiti Relief Fund in the purpose section of the Paypal site so it will be designated for this project. If you would like to mail a check to them their address is: Pittsburgh Kids Foundation, 116 Federal Street, 1st Floor, Pittsburgh PA 15212. You can see them on the evening news here .

Please keep praying.

Jayson



1 comment:

Brett Probert said...

Fine words...praying with you.