Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Reaching People...

235,000.  We talk about that number a lot around here.  There are 235,000 unchurched people within a twenty-minute drive of NorthBridge Church.  It’s crazy to think about!  And yet why not?  Why not pray, dream and ask God to use our little church to reach those 235,000?

You’re going to hear a lot more about this in 2009.  In fact, it’s why we’re launching some experiments in the weeks ahead (Northbridge Music Project).  In the meantime, here are three statements I am learning and re-learning when it comes to reaching people for Christ.

1. You must reach people where they are, not where you want them to be.

2. The greatest evangelism tool is not a well-written tract but a well-ordered life.

3.  A dialogue is better than a monologue.  

Evangelism “strategies” often underestimate the incredible importance of simply listening, and understanding where people are coming from (see Point #1.)  If I’m not willing to really listen, I probably don’t really care.

What do you think?

jame

1 comment:

Team Silas said...

I am pumped to be a part of a group of people who want to reach those unreached in our own community. My mother in law keeps coming back, I dont know why, but she does, I never thought she would come at all and she has not missed a week since her first NB experience. If you guys see her, get into her life. I have a unbelieving friend who came once and wants to come again, he wants to bring his girlfriend.

Some of the most relationally effective people I know have a gift of asking great questions listening and then asking some more great questions. When I am with people like that I feel valued, heard, and understood. I want be that for others.