Sunday, October 11, 2009

Soles for Souls


Today, a good number of people left church with out their shoes.

As part of our 5 Things series, Andy gave a message entitled, "Personal Ministry." The scripture was from Matthew 14: 13-21,
(Feeding of the 5,000). At the end, Andy gave a challenge to "take a step". To do what we can do and trust God to do what only he can do. If you missed it click here.

The leadership team felt led several weeks ago to do something a little crazy at the end of the message. We thought one thing we could do TODAY, to drive the point home, would be to ask everyone to literaly give the shoes off their feet (symbolizing our loaves and fishes) to those in need.

So that was the crazy ask at the end. Honestly I was kinda afraid to ask and wasn't expecting much. But God did what only He can do. The response was amazing!

So tell us by leaving a comment below: Why did you give them up? Did those shoes have a story? What do you envision God doing with them now?

All shoes will be shipped to Soles for Souls on 10/12/09
~jame


4 comments:

Jayson and Katy said...

I gave my New Balance 992's. They were hard for me to give up because they are my most expensive and most comfortable shoes but I know that God will use them for His glory so I was happy to give them up. -- Jayson

Jame said...

Gave my Asic Onitsuka Tiger's. Saw them when in Atlanta about a year ago and then spent the following month online looking for a good deal before finally buying them. Funny how shoes can have sentimental value and "a story".

God blessed me w/the means to buy those shoes and I'm glad to pass them on to someone who can really use them. It's making me look at everything else I have in a differnt light.

Unknown said...

Yesterday morning I actually went to my closet looking for the shoes I gave - a pair of brown Rockport loafers. Those shoes saw me through the principalship of six different schools and the last three years in my current position. They were my "go to" shoes for almost every occasion. They were great shoes for me and I'm sure that will continue for whoever ends up with them next.

Thanks for giving us this opportunity to stretch!

rob gage said...

my shoes were brand new. I just received them in the mail that friday. I got them by collecting coke rewards points for over a year. I was so excited to finally cash in and get something for my efforts. Then I went to church... and gave them away. It was tough... and I wrestled with excuses of why I shouldn't give them up. But in the end, He was teaching me.